[Biojava-l] Work completed for GSoC:AAPropertiesComputation

Peter Troshin p.v.troshin at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 22:26:20 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

New release sounds great! It nicely wraps up the work completed during
this year's Google Summer of Code. Thank you for making it!

Perhaps, I should say a few words about another, recently added piece of
the functionality for prediction of disordered regions from a protein
sequence.

This work is wrapped up as a /biojava3-protein-disorder/ module. For
now, this module contains one method for the prediction of disordered
regions. This method is based on the Java implementation of RONN
<http://www.strubi.ox.ac.uk/RONN> predictor.

This code has been originally developed for another project and made its
way into the BioJava.
As the main code behind this is a Java implementation of RONN,
unimaginatively we call it /JRONN/. JRONN is based on RONN version 3.1
which is still current in time of writing (August 2011) and so gives the
same predictions as RONN.

Main motivation behind JRONN development was providing an implementation
of RONN more suitable to use by the automated analysis pipelines and web
services. Robert Esnouf has kindly allowed us to explore the RONN code
and share the results with the community.

Original version of RONN is described in Yang,Z.R., Thomson,R.,
McMeil,P. and Esnouf,R.M. (2005) RONN: the bio-basis function neural
network technique applied to the detection of natively disordered
regions in proteins. Bioinformatics 21: 3369-3376
<http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/16/3369.full>

Please refer to the cookbook entry
http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:CookBook#biojava3-protein-disorder for
more information about disorder prediction module.

Happy coding,
Peter

P.S. I think the documentation for biojava3-protein-disorder module is
ok, unless someone can suggest any improvements.

P.P.S. Andreas, it would be great if you could remove the content of
this directory
http://www.biojava.org/download/maven/org/biojava/biojava3-protein-disorder
to get rid of outdated artefacts.