[Biojava-l] Codon count

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Apr 21 11:23:47 UTC 2011

Hi Khalil,

I'm not 100% sure what you want here. If you just want to know the potential number of codons on both strands of DNA then it would be (length / 3)*2. If what you are actually asking for is how many codons code for an amino acid then you would have to perform work similar to the transcription engine in BJ3. All codon tables are available from the IUPACParser class & then it would be up to you to use a WindowedSequence over the top of your NT sequence to get the windows or SequenceMixin.nonOverlappingKmers() which shortcuts the creation of the WindowedSequence.

Regards,

Andy