[Biojava-l] Bad PDB files and batch processing with PDBFileReader

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Wed Oct 27 05:19:07 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,

PDB files are better nowadays, due to remediation, however there are
still issues..

it sounds like you just want to figure out how to do the try/catch
block properly. You could do something like that:

		boolean splitFileOrganisation = true;
		AtomCache cache = new
AtomCache("/path/to/your/installation/",splitFileOrganisation);

		String[] pdbIDs = new String[]{"4hhb", "1cdg","5pti","1gav", "WRONGID" };

		for (String pdbID : pdbIDs){

			try {
				Structure s = cache.getStructure(pdbID);
				if ( s == null) {
					System.out.println("could not find structure " + pdbID);
					continue;
				}
				// do something with the structure - your inner loop
				System.out.println(s);

			} catch (Exception e){
				// something crazy happened...
				System.err.println("Can't load structure " + pdbID + " reason: " +
e.getMessage());
				e.printStackTrace();
			}
		}