[Biojava-l] How to share code while protecting copyrights?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Wed Oct 13 21:44:36 UTC 2010

How and when you want to be attributed in publications, and what you
want someone else not to publish on, is an ethical matter. Licenses
are legal instruments and not suited for ethical questions or social
conventions. Rather, this is addressed by ethical and social
conventions and requests.

A good example is the Ft Lauderdale agreement, which is not a legal
instrument but an ethical request of those who peruse immediate-
release sequencing data. If you have ethical or social requests to
make of those who peruse your code, state them explicitly in a README
and in the code.

By their nature, you can't legally enforce them. However, ethical
behavior is policed - by all of us as a scientific community, not in
the courts.

	-hilmar

On Oct 13, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Steve Darnell wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Forgive me for being pessimistic, but I do not believe you can
> publically distribute your code without running the risk of being
> scooped.  Mark's suggestions are very good; however, the safest route
> would be to withhold distribution of your code until your work is
> published (or at very least accepted).
>
> Also, I would suggest this argument for convincing your group to use
> BioJava (disclaimer - I am not a lawyer).
>
> Under the LGPL, you are not obligated to release your source code if:
>
> (1) you create a "work based on the library" (e.g. direct
> modifications
> or additions to the licensed work) but do not distribute it, and
> (2) you create a "work that uses the library" by dynamically linking
> your work to the licensed work (see distribution clause #5 of the
> LGPL:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html)
>
> If you follow choice #2, you can license and distribute your work
> under
> terms of your group's choosing (open or closed, submit it to the
> BioJava
> developers for inclusion or not) while gaining the benefit of reusing
> BioJava.
>
> ~Steve

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :