[Biojava-l] How to share code while protecting copyrights?

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Wed Oct 13 18:48:32 UTC 2010

> Forgive me for being pessimistic, but I do not believe you can
> publically distribute your code without running the risk of being
> scooped.  Mark's suggestions are very good; however, the safest route
> would be to withhold distribution of your code until your work is
> published (or at very least accepted).

I think that is too conservative - if getting scooped is an issue, I would
release the code shortly before submission of the first manuscript to a
journal. That way the source code can form part of the publication and the
referees can view the code during the review process.  Many views/downloads
of articles happen in the first few weeks after publication. Having a link
to the source code in the paper can be a great advertisement for the open
source project and help in community-building.

Andreas

> Also, I would suggest this argument for convincing your group to use
> BioJava (disclaimer - I am not a lawyer).
>
> Under the LGPL, you are not obligated to release your source code if:
>
> (1) you create a "work based on the library" (e.g. direct modifications
> or additions to the licensed work) but do not distribute it, and
> (2) you create a "work that uses the library" by dynamically linking
> your work to the licensed work (see distribution clause #5 of the LGPL:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html)
>
> If you follow choice #2, you can license and distribute your work under
> terms of your group's choosing (open or closed, submit it to the BioJava
> developers for inclusion or not) while gaining the benefit of reusing
> BioJava.
>
> ~Steve

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526