[Biojava-l] PDBFileParser and identifying atoms in ligands

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Fri May 7 22:27:39 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

I see what you intend to do.  If you want just the HETATOM groups, you
can request them with

Chain.getAtomGroups(GroupType.HETATM);

or just amino acids groups you can requrest them  with

Chain.getAtomGroups(GroupType.AMINOACID);

same would work for getSeqresGroups(...) as well, but then your two
examples are quite specific:

193D is an antibiotic/DNA complex.
7EST chain I is a
TRIFLUOROACETYL-*L-*LEUCYL-*L-*ALANYL-P-TRIFLUOROMETHYLPHENYLANILIDE

Hetatoms are represented as Xs during the sequence alignments. I can
easily fix the "failing" alignment in this case, by ignoring the
wrongly aligned Hetatom Xs  (patch just committed to SVN...). Not sure
if it makes any biological difference in your two examples.

Andreas

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Andy Thomas-Cramer
<thomascramera at dnastar.com> wrote:

> Hetatom groups are also used to represent modified residues in chains. I would like to obtain either the ligand atoms/groups without the sequence, or the sequence atoms/groups without the ligands.
>
> Chain.getSeqResGroups() reliably returns an empty list, when alignment fails and for non-amino sequences.
>
> Examples of the former include 193D (chains C) and 7EST (chain I). Both of these contain HETATMs both as modified residues and as ligands. Alignment fails in both.
>
> Interestingly, 193D's chain D is identical to chain C -- but it's alignment succeeds. One difference is that C has an associated ligand and D does not. Are the ligand atom groups associated with a chain considered during alignment?

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526