[Biojava-l] PDBFileParser and identifying atoms in ligands

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Thu May 6 20:51:40 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

You don't need to process TERs to build up the representation of a
structure.  The BioJava data model will work fine even if the file
does not contain any amino acids. (e.g.  check 2KQO )

Ligands will get represented as Hetatom groups in the datamodel.
Check the Hetatom or Group javadocs for how to access their atoms.

For your last question: Check out the Chain.getAtomGroups() and
Chain.getSeqResGroups() methods...

If it does not work the way you expect for a particular PDB ID, please
let me know the ID, so I can take a look at the details.

Andreas