[Biojava-l] Required Correction in GenbankLocationParser class

Deepak Sheoran sheoran143 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 00:45:29 UTC 2010

  Their is problem with GenbankLocationParser class, this class don't
process genbank record with    Accession: M32882. LocationParser class
fails at following line in genbank record:

      gene  </nuccore/150738?itemid=33&report=gbwithparts>             join((8298.8300)..10206,1..855)
                      /gene="bcn"
      mRNA  </nuccore/150738?itemid=15&report=gbwithparts>             join((8298.8300)..10206,1..855)
                      /gene="bcn"
                      /note="alternative transcript"

Exception stack trace is as follows:

	Could not understand position: 10206,1..855
	org.biojava.bio.seq.io.ParseException: Could not understand position: 10206,1..855
	at org.biojavax.bio.seq.io.GenbankLocationParser.parsePosition(GenbankLocationParser.java:285)
         at org.biojavax.bio.seq.io.GenbankLocationParser.parsePosition(GenbankLocationParser.java:285)
         at org.biojavax.bio.seq.io.GenbankLocationParser.parseLocString(GenbankLocationParser.java:277)
         at org.biojavax.bio.seq.io.GenbankLocationParser.parseLocString(GenbankLocationParser.java:244)
         at org.biojavax.bio.seq.io.GenbankLocationParser.parseLocation(GenbankLocationParser.java:131)

I did some investigation in following matter, and found the defect in
regular expression named as "gp" in GenbankLocationParser class.

This error can be fixed by applying attached patch. And then for testing
I have created a method which proves that it can now understand all the
possible combination of location. This test class is also attached so
that you can test my patch before and after its application.

I don't have access to svn so please apply this patch for me, and let me
know if you approve this patch or not.

Thanks
Deepak Sheoran