[Biojava-l] PDBFileParser and Atom element symbol

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Tue Apr 27 01:07:53 UTC 2010

Hi Andy

Questions:

> * Is this pattern documented in the PDB specification?

see here:
http://www.wwpdb.org/documentation/format23/sect9.html#ATOM

> * If this pattern can be relied on, why are columns 77-78 also dedicated to
> the element symbol?

That is the atom's element symbol (as given in the periodic table), in
contrast to the first name, which contains numbering information.

* Should reliance on the pattern be hidden behind a BioJava method?

If you think that is important we could probably provide an enum for all
atom types. There are two categories though: the periodic table symbol and
the one that is related to the position in an amino acid....

Andreas