[Biojava-l] Newick/Nexus processing of non-binary trees

Thasso Griebel thasso.griebel at uni-jena.de
Fri Nov 13 14:51:41 UTC 2009

Hi,

> 1. A weighted version is enough. If branch lengths are not specified,
> then weights could be set to 0. There there would not be a decrease in
> functionality.

just my two cents, but I would go with a default weight of 1.0. If you
read something unweighted you would ignore the edge weights anyways,
but, for example, if you write something simple that computes path
lengths, a default weight of 1.0 ensures that the method also works
for "unweighted" trees, where the length of a path is defined as the
number of edges you need to traverse to move from say A to B. I think
the argument also hold for other algorithms used on trees and graphs.

anyways, just my two cent.

-thasso

--
Dipl. Inf. Thasso Griebel-------------------Lehrstuhl fuer Bioinformatik