[Biojava-l] Rooted trees in nexus files

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Tue Nov 3 18:46:05 UTC 2009

> 1. Lack of knowledge of root node

The Newick tree string is read as-is and is not parsed. It only gets
parsed at the point of conversion to a Undirected or WeightedGraph
inside the TreeBlocks.java source code (inside the two types of get-As-
JGraphT methods). It's at this point the string is parsed and it's
here that root note determination should take place. It's already
known whether &R or &U have been specified here, which should help the
code work out what to do.

> 2. The p* stuff.

Exactly the same part of the code as described above. Wherever it
pushes values to the stack but prepends them with 'p' first, you'll
need to change the 'p' to some instance variable and provide a getter/
setter to change it, with 'p' being the default setting.

cheers,
Richard

T: +44 (0)1223 654481 ext 3 | E: holland at eaglegenomics.com
http://www.eaglegenomics.com/