[Biojava-l] Webservices clients in bio-java

James Procter jimp at compbio.dundee.ac.uk
Thu May 28 12:29:19 UTC 2009

Hi All.

Mark Schreiber wrote:
> There was a recent discussion of generated code on the list. A good solution
> for webservices may be to put the wsdl and high level api in the repository
> and let jax-ws tools autogenerate the client biolerplate code.

Just to clarify - by high-level API you mean the interface to the code
that takes biojava objects as arguments and translates them into
parameters for the service and vice versa for the results ?

With regard to the recent(ish) discussion about modularisation in BJ3,
I'd suggest that a module is created for each distinct WSDL containing
the glue code for connecting BJ objects with the boilerplate code. The
glue code implements factory methods to generate instances of
appropriate BJ service APIs, which are defined in a core BJ module. This
means that the WSDL + API implementation is decoupled from the BJ
service API.

Does that make sense (and/or am I simply stating the obvious here) ?

Jim.