[Biojava-l] Stop condition for blast parser

Marcel Huntemann marcel.huntemann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:00:36 UTC 2009

Hi Mark!

Mark Schreiber wrote:
> You could just customize BlastEcho to pass on the events of interest,
> ignore those that are not interesting.
That's what I am doing right now. But I don't know, how to tell my
customized BlastEcho to stop, when a certain condition is met during a
paricular event call. What's the command for stopping there?

> It could also exit if a certain
> event occurs.
How?

> Remember it cost almost nothing to read the file so you
> save time by only sending interesting events for parsing.
Hmm, I am not sure, if it's really almost nothing, when I've about 90,000
contigs that were blasted against a database with about maybe 3,000,000
genes. The blast output that I am parsing is about 13Gig big and every
cycle I am looking for the results of one particular contig of these
90,000 contigs. So I definitely experienced that the time sums up a lot,
when it's running in each of these 90,000 cycles over the whole file,
although the contig I am looking for was already at the beginning of the file.

Cheers,
Marcel