[Biojava-l] How to get translated sequence out of blast result

Marcel Huntemann marcel.huntemann at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 02:42:14 UTC 2009

Hi!

I've a multiple fasta file with a lot of nucleotide sequences in it. I
made a blastx with this file against a database. Now I want to parse the
blast result. To be more precisely: I want to get the translated protein
query sequence with it's start and stop position for each hit.
I am using the example code from the BioJava cookbook
(http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:CookBook:Blast:Parser). The parsing works
fine so far, besides one problem. I am able to get the start and stop
position for the query sequence via hit.getQueryStart() and
hit.getQueryEnd(). But I couldn't figure out yet, how to get the
translated protein query sequence out of the blast result. I couldn't find
something like hit.getQuerySequence() or similar. I would guess that
something like that exists already somehwere or am I wrong and I've to
implement it myself?

Thanks,
Marcel