[Biojava-l] alignments

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Mon Feb 9 14:47:45 UTC 2009

Yes, you can cast it back. In fact you don't need to actually cast it at
all, as Java will do that for you automatically. FlexibleAlignment is an
implementation of the Alignment interface, which defines general
behaviour for all alignments. If your algorithm is written to accept a
parameter of type Alignment, then it will accept any object which
implements the Alignment interface, including FlexibleAlignment, Happy
and SadAlignment, etc. etc.

Unfortunately I'm not sure why there are so many different kinds of
alignment objects. I think it was something to do with wanting to make
some that are modifiable, and others that are read-only, then making
different kinds that store the underlying alignment data in
different/more efficient/faster/cleverer representations. It does rather
over-complicate things, however if your algorithm only requires
Alignment as the type of its parameter, then you can safely use all and
any of these as they all implement the Alignment interface.

cheers,
Richard