[Biojava-l] Reading Fasta file problem (new to biojava)

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Wed Dec 16 11:22:31 UTC 2009

You're almost right already - the sample code would be this:

BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new FileReader(args[0]));
Namespace ns = RichObjectFactory.getDefaultNamespace();
RichSequenceIterator iterator = RichSequence.IOTools.readFastaProtein(br,ns);

(No need to cast it - it's already a RichSequenceIterator).

The namespace is a hangover from the object model being based on BioSQL, where all sequences belong to a namespace. If you don't care about namespaces (which is highly likely if you're not persisting to BioSQL) then a default one is provided to use as a placeholder, as shown above.

cheers,
Richard