[Biojava-l] A software project suggestion

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 02:34:48 UTC 2009

Hi Martin -

Something that would be useful to have is a parser and object model
for Entrez Gene, mainly the XML format.  This format is available by
CGI-BIN, SOAP and FTP and contains a great deal of useful information.
The project is possibly a bit more challenging than it first may seem
as the format is arcane to say the least. You will not get anything
terribly useful by autogenerating something with JAXB.  Also the SOAP
WSDL doesn't work out of the box with JAX-WS, you can use AXIS but
again the autogenerated object binding to the XML is rubbish (due to
the very confusing XML structure).  If you made a parser for the SOAP
service you would be best to go to a lower level (such as SAAJ).

Anyhow the main idea is to get all of the tremendously useful
information extracted from the XML and into a friendly Java beans API.

- Mark