[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] BioJava code freeze, modularization and action items for sub modules

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 05:37:59 UTC 2009

I'm happy to volunteer code for:

   1. BLASTXML parser as long as I can change the ssbind APIs (other parsers
   could go into a legacy module??). Actually I would prefer to completely
   decouple from the sequence/ feature module as many people would like a blast
   parser without the rest of biojava thrown in.
   2. BioSQL/ JPA bindings. I have already generated JPA compliant entity
   beans for mapping to BioSQL as well as JPA handler code that makes sure
   modifications presist properly. Currently the object model very closely
   follows the BioSQL table structure.  Also the current beans are what people
   call Anaemic beans in that they hold data and provide getters and setters
   but no biological behaivour. I can easily provide bio-smarts to the beans
   but it might be better to hold off until there is a module that contains
   sequence/feature interfaces which the beans could implement.
   3. Happy to provide code for an enterprise module if there is sufficient
   interest. This would probably take the form of SessionBeans and WebServices
   that can be deployed to Glassfish/ JBoss etc to provide biological services
   for people who want to make client server or SOA apps.

- Mark