[Biojava-l] Sequence logo

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Wed Aug 5 05:35:23 UTC 2009

Hi -

There is some code for a Swing component in one of the GUI packages. It is
useful for making a single position but not an entire logo.

In the past I have used the code that does the drawing and modified it to
work on a Distribution[]. The code shouldn't really be in a Swing
component it should be in a class that generates drawing instructions for
a Graphics2D object. This is a lot more flexible because you can then draw
into a Frame or Canvas if you want a GUI, or a BufferedImage if you want a
graphics file, or a Batik Graphics2D object if you want to make an SVG
file.

Also the code in BioJava doesn't let you modify the g2 object at all so
you can't turn on anti-aliasing (highly recommended).

The idea of separating BioJava's graphics and GUI capabilities has been on
the cards for a while. If you do this for the Sequence Logo it would be
great to feed it back to the group as an example of how it should be done.

- Mark