[Biojava-l] FASTA parsing bug ?

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:31:00 UTC 2009

People who know me will know I am not a big fan of FASTA format.  Sure
it was useful in the days of FORTRAN but we really need to move on.
I'm not sure the people who started the format foresaw the kind of
abuse that the "format" would get.

What I would much prefer is something that looks like the BioEntry
table of BioSQL plus the BioSequence information in somekind of (dare
I say it) XML format. It would certainly be tidier and vastly more
machine readable, for a start not all the metadata would need to be on
the description line in no specific order. I think by limiting it to
those two tables you get most of the key metadata without all the
cruft that comes with more extensive XML formats.

It would be a bit less user friendly for people pasting sequences into
webforms (although I think FASTA is fine for that) but much better for
data distribution, webservices, machine processing etc.

Anyhow, that's enough venting. I don't wan't to start somekind of holy
war or anything...

- Mark

ps. Sorry for getting off topic.