[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] BioJava 3 Begins - Volunteers please!

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Tue Oct 21 09:06:41 UTC 2008

> License: Since it seems we will end up copying code from biojava 1.6
> to biojava 3.0, we need to keep the license the same (LGPL 2.1). I.e.
> people should still use the same biojava license headers when
> committing new files and all code will be considered to be LGPL, if no
> header is present. Do NOT commit code under other licenses.
>
> Installation: We need some installation instructions on the wiki site,
> e.g. how to get the maven setup running.  What are the code
> conventions for the new version?

Not sure where best to put it in the Wiki, but I agree it needs to go there
somewhere.

Installation is a one-liner from within the top level of the project:

   mvn install

This compiles and installs the JARs into your local Maven repository, and
also downloads and installs any external dependencies. Then you can add the
installed modules as dependencies in your own Maven projects.

If you need to write a launcher script for your project, or you want to use
the JAR files outside Maven, you can use this command to generate the
CLASSPATH for use outside Maven. This only includes external dependencies -
you'll also need to add to it the individual JAR files from inside the
various target/ folders that Maven built for you:

  mvn dependency:build-classpath

Code conventions are simple:

1. I'm not fussed about the specific formatter people use in each module, as
long as the code is all formatted using some kind of consistent method. I
personally just use the default settings from Format code in NetBeans.

2. Use 'this' wherever possible, and for static references, use the
classname prefix (e.g. MyClass.staticField). I hate having to try and work
out in my head which references are going where, and which are static and
which are not!

3. Comment every single method, even if it's private. This helps understand
the flow of your code. Also comment liberally inside methods if they are
longer than just a few lines (i.e. if you can't fit the entire method within
the code panel in NetBeans, its going to need internal comments).

4. When writing getters/setters, follow the Java beans conventions so that
automated frameworks like Spring can easily pick it up and work with it.

5. Please write tests for your code using JUnit conventions, inside the
test/ folder of each module. I know I haven't done this myself yet, but I'm
going to!

> Blast: the Blast parsing modules are among the most frequently used
> ones in biojava 1.6. To make people use biojava v3 it will be crucial
> to have a port of them to the new version. Does anybody want to take
> care of that?

I'll second that. Blast is vital. We'd really appreciate a volunteer,
please!

> Automated builds: is it interesting to have automated builds set up
> for the new version at this stage, or should we wait until a more
> mature stage? I could easily add another auto-build similar to the one
> for biojava 1.6 at http://www.spice-3d.org/cruise/

You could do, although I don't think they'd be much use yet. But why not
start early then we won't forget to do it later.

Richard