[Biojava-l] BugZilla!

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Thu Nov 27 02:33:05 UTC 2008

Hi -

I would concur with this. BioJava is volunteer based and requires people
to volunteer before things happen.

In my experience bug reports get resolved most rapidly if the person
reporting the bug can do as much of their own investigation as possible.
Have a good look at the stack trace and try using a debugger. You can
rapidly narrow down the underlying cause. Even if you are not confident
about the best way to fix the problem, armed with all the relevant
information someone more experienced will be able to tell you if you are
on the right track.

Unit tests are also good here. For one thing they will set-up a situation
to replicate your bug. They will also provide a way to make sure the bug
doesn't happen again in future releases.  Finally, the more unit tests
there are the more confident you can be that your proposed bug fix won't
break anything else.

Helping fix stuff in BioJava will definitely improve you're programming
skills and greatly increase your knowledge of how the API works so by
helping others you are probably helping yourself more.

- Mark