[Biojava-l] Questions about downloading sequences from DataBanks

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Fri Nov 7 13:09:03 UTC 2008

Hello.

The basic way of fetching a load of sequences from eutils by
specifying a set of Genbank IDs can be done using this:

  http://biojava.org/docs/api/org/biojavax/bio/db/ncbi/GenbankRichSequenceDB.html

If you want to specify more complex queries for locating sequences
other than just by ID, you'll need to make a copy of
GenbankRichSequenceDB and modify it to allow such queries. It uses the
direct URL method for interacting with Entrez/eutils, and so with your
modified class you'll be able to do anything that the webservice can
do via URL requests.

cheers,
Richard