[Biojava-l] Off Topic: Solutions to evenly overlapping substring problem??

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:49:04 UTC 2008

Hi -

I have a piece of DNA which is 10763 bp long. I want to divide this up
evenly into 10 fragments each of 2500bp in length. What is the overlap
required between each fragment?

Or more generally, for a sequence of length L, how much overlap O is
required to generate N fragments of length l (were N and l are fixed)?

A solution would be most appreciated. Extra points for coding it in
biojava and posting it on the cookbook!!

- Mark