[Biojava-l] Constructing Backbone of Protein

Mohammed AlQuraishi super_fx at msn.com
Fri Jul 18 14:22:33 UTC 2008

In general it's not possible to accurately reconstruct a protein's backbone
strictly from phi/psi angles--you'd need the bond lengths and bond angles
(especially important) to have an accurate reconstruction. It is however
possible to get an approximate reconstruction, particularly for short
protein fragments, if you use "standard" values for bond lengths and angles,
such as the ones here:

http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?li0061

I don't know if biojava has any methods specific for this purpose, but the
link below contains a description of how to reconstruct the coordinates if
you have the dihedral angles (and bond lengths and angles) that doesn't
require more functionality than simple 3D transforms:

https://lists.sdsc.edu/pipermail/pdb-l/2002-December/000326.html

Hope this helps,
Mohammed

---