[Biojava-l] [Biojava-dev] How can I calculate the RMSD of Global Alignment?

Andreas Prlic andreas.prlic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 12:20:33 UTC 2008

Hi Armita,

I agree the missing documentation for all the alignment parameters is
a problem...   It is not exactly clear from your mail what is the
problem you encountered. The code that you sent in principle looks
fine. I suspect you want to select the "best" of the alternative
alignments? In that case you can simply take the first, since the
alignments come out sorted. An example can be run from here:

http://www.biojava.org/download/performance/biojava-structure-example1.jnlp

The alternative alignments are sorted according to their number of
structurally equivalent residues. The rmsd in the different
alternative solutions is always kept under a certain threshold (one of
the parameters), since one of the strategies is to try to keep the
rmsd constant, while maximizing the number of structurally equivalent
residues. Similar results are clustered together in the same cluster.
In the example shown above this allows to find the multiple matches
between the four chains of hemoglobin and myoglobin.

Andreas