[Biojava-l] BioGroovy

Mark Fortner phidias51 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 16:31:47 UTC 2008

Hi Mark,
So far, most of my experiments have made use of BioJava, and  CDK. I'm
hoping to try out a few things with the JRI (Java R Interface) and
JEMBOSS as well.    I agree, there's no point in simply rewriting
BioJava code in Groovy.  I'd rather leverage the appropriate libraries
wherever possible.

This brings up another question, if we're leveraging libraries other
than BioJava does it make sense to post the BioGroovy cookbooks on the
BioJava site?

Also, as Andy intimated though, there is probably going to be a point
where standard Groovy things (like Builders) aren't available in
BioJava.  When those things happen, some decision will need to be made
as to whether the Builder should be implemented in Java or in Groovy.
My tendency would be to make it available in BioJava (or BioJavaX),
which would let others leverage the simplified syntax not only in Java
but in scripting languages (such as JRuby and Jython) as well.

As for performance, when you use the Eclipse Groovy plugin in
automatically compiles the Groovy script to Java bytecode, so I
haven't really noticed any difference in speed -- although most of
what I've tried hasn't been computationally challenging either.

Mark