[Biojava-l] Java to Perl

Mark Fortner phidias51 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:57:06 UTC 2007

The original post indicated that they wanted to go from java to perl.  Doing
a quick Google search yielded a lot of hits for tools going from perl to
java.  Just out curiosity, was there some reason you wanted to create perl
code from Java code?

There are a couple of projects which supposedly provide PERL-scripting
support inside Java to one extent or another.  The first is called Sleep (
http://sleep.hick.org/) which is described as being a PERL-like plugin for
the Java 6 scripting engine.  There's also a BSF plugin called BSF Perl (
http://bsfperl.sf.net) and another BSF plugin called PerlScript which is
part of ActiveState's ActivePerl distribution.

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of these, so please don't
construe anything I say as an endorsement of these technologies.  Although
none of these solutions will convert PERL code into Java or vice-versa, they
may allow you to run Perl inside a VM.

Hope this helps,

Mark