[Biojava-l] Parsing exising gaps

Ditlev Egeskov Brodersen deb at mb.au.dk
Fri Nov 16 09:28:40 UTC 2007

Hi Richard,

  thanks for your super fast reply. I managed to recompile using CVS/ant and
the MSF import now works brilliantly and simply as follows:

  BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new
FileReader(aFileChooser.getSelectedFile()));
  SimpleAlignment align =
(SimpleAlignment)SeqIOTools.fileToBiojava(AlignIOConstants.MSF_AA, br);

  // Iterate through sequences in turn
  Iterator aSequences = align.symbolListIterator();
  while(aSequences.hasNext()) {

      // Retrieve gapped sequence
      SimpleGappedSequence aGapped =
(SimpleGappedSequence)aSequences.next();

      ...do whatever with each gapped sequence
  }

  The returned gapped sequences are all properly set up with gaps, name etc.
But as for other users, I think there may be some problems, since the
SimpleAlignment object only has a general symbol list iterator, the user
will have to cast each statement extracting a sequence object, and

      SimpleSequence aSimple = (SimpleSequence)aSequences.next();

returns an ClassCastException at run time. So old code might not run with
the update as far as I can see.

  Ditlev

--

Ditlev E. Brodersen, Ph.D.
Lektor, Associate Professor

Department of Molecular Biology   Office:  +45 89425259
University of Aarhus              Lab:     +45 89425022
Gustav Wieds Vej 10c              Fax:     +45 86123178
DK-8000 Aarhus C                  Email:   deb at mb.au.dk
Denmark                           Lab WWW: www.bioxray.dk/~deb