[Biojava-l] Parsing exising gaps

Richard Holland holland at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 13:51:48 UTC 2007

I think you've uncovered a number of problems here:

1. The PROTEIN-TERM alphabet does define '-' as a valid symbol, as do
all the other predefined alphabets.

2. The MSF parser doesn't bother trying to build GappedSequence
instances, instead it just builds solid sequences with the gaps as
normal symbols.

3. There is no constructor or method for taking a sequence with embedded
gap symbols and turning it into a GappedSequence with separate chunks.

Combined, these three problems make it impossible to do what you want
easily. I will make a note to fix this on the plans for the next BioJava
development cycle.

In the meantime, your best bet would be to construct a second alignment
block by iterating over the alignment block you already have and parsing
the locations of the gap symbols. You would create a
SimpleGappedSequence intially over the ungapped sequence, then use the
insert gap methods to insert the gaps into this ungapped sequence before
putting all the SimpleGappedSequence objects together into a new alignment.

cheers,
Richard