[Biojava-l] Getting a base from an alignment (way to complex?)

George Waldon gwaldon at geneinfinity.org
Fri Nov 9 18:45:10 UTC 2007

Tokens are associated with alphabets.

Get the tokenization from the alphabet using:
SymbolTokenization = Alphabet.getTokenization("token");

Get the token from the tokenization using:
String = SymbolTokenization.tokenizeSymbol(Symbol);

Also, check the tutotial and the cookbook on the biojava web site at www.biojava.org, which are often more informative than the javadoc.

Frankly speaking, I agree with you and we should have a method like
String = Symbol.getToken(Alphabet,"token");
to do these operations simply and without loosing our hairs!

Best luck,
George