[Biojava-l] State of the nation

Egon Willighagen e.willighagen at science.ru.nl
Fri Mar 23 17:50:54 UTC 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007, Mark Fortner wrote:
> > We can add a
> > comment in the test method to indicate that it's in response to a
> > particular bug fix.
> >
> > You could name the method testBug12345. It's a matter of style I suppose.
> > Having it all together reduces redundancy. Having regression tests
> > seperately makes it easier to find the appropriate regression test
> > especially if it involves more than one object.

I can very much recommend this, as we have good experiences with this in the
CDK [1]. We actually tag Junit test methods, as well as the class in which
the bug was found until it is closed. By using a simple JavaDoc Taglet, we
link to our bug track system (e.g. [2]), so that users can always see in the
JavaDoc if there are relevant open bug for a certain pieace of code.

Additionally, we have a nightly build service which checks about open bugs for
which no tests are available, and a few administrative things [3].

BTW, we use the tag @cdk.bug, but that just what we have chosen it to be.

Egon

1.http://cdk.sf.net/
2.http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:UBsZ1moOpLwJ:cheminfo.informatics.indiana.edu/~rguha/code/java/nightly/api/org/openscience/cdk/smiles/SmilesParser.html+cdk+SMILESParser&hl=nl&client=firefox-a&strip=1
3.http://cheminfo.informatics.indiana.edu/~rguha/code/java/nightly/bugs.html

(ad. 2: Yeah, it seems 'Nightly' is down, so you get the Google cache :)

e.willighagen at science.ru.nl
Cologne University Bioinformatics Center (CUBIC)
Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
GPG: 1024D/D6336BA6