[Biojava-l] [Bioperl-l] New Article on Approaches to Web Development for Bioinformatics

Mauricio Herrera Cuadra arareko at campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Sat Mar 3 22:32:46 UTC 2007

Hi Alex,

I think you've put a very nice & concise introductory article. I'd like
to comment a little on some sections I've read:

* Introduction

 > "Given that you have an idea for analyzing or presenting data in a
 > particular was, a complete bioinformatics web application depends of
 > these basic pieces, which is what this article is all about:
 >
 >    1. A source of data...
 >    2. An application programming language...
 >    3. A web application platform...
 >    4. Optionally, a data store...
 >    5. Optionally, you would reuse software tools..."

Even though you do a small mention about Web Services at the very end of
the article (under Application Integration -> Programmatic Integration),
I believe that Web Services can be another optional (or even basic)
piece of a web application. In fact, many web applications consist only
of Web Services without HTML user interfaces.

* Application Development Languages

 > "There are many different programming platforms and tools available to
 > solve bioinformatics problems.  It can be bewildering at first, but it
 > makes more sense to build on top of some of these tools rather than
 > build from scratch.  Some the problems with using these tools for a
 > bioinformatics portal are
 >
 >    1. Many tools are written...
 >    2. Some tools have particular prerequisites...
 >    3. Many may not be in a form...
 >    4. The context that gives meaning...
 >
 > Standardization on a particular platform can help manageability but
 > for most organizations a compromise between standardization and
 > adoption of several different platforms will allow many people to
 > develop software in platforms that they are already comfortable with
 > and allow the reuse of a large amount of freely available software..."

I would add to the problems list the fact that building web (or other
kind of) applications on top of a platform whose codebase is evolving
constantly, can make them very difficult to maintain. The case of
EnsEMBL comes to my mind here: they opted to stick with BioPerl 1.2.3 as
a core library and haven't moved onto a higher version of it because the
EnsEMBL code is so vast, that a simple upgrade of BioPerl would break a
lot of their code. AFAIK, it's because of this and the slowness at some
parts of BioPerl that EnsEMBL is gradually saying goodbye to BioPerl.

Also, I think that depending on the amount of available code you plan to
import into your application, sometimes having a whole platform at the
very bottom can add unnecessary extra weight to your application. More
weight could be equal to less speed, this is critical in web development.

* Application Integration -> Navigation

 > "The basic way that users will navigate into and around your
 > application should be using HTTP GET and POST requests with specific
 > URL's. Users bookmark these URL's and other applications will link to
 > them. Most applications developers did not realize it at first, but
 > these URL's are, in fact, an interface into your application that you
 > must maintain in a consistent way as you change and evolve your
 > software. Otherwise, they will find dead links..."

Just as I clicked the bookmark button for your article :) The same
principle could apply to its filenames. A URL of the form:
http://medicalcomputing.net/tools_dna17.php is less indicative of the
real content of the article and can mislead potential readers.
Optimising the URL's will make them better to be indexed by search
engines, something like:
http://medicalcomputing.net/web-development-bioinformatics17.php would
do the trick.

To conclude my comments, I was surprised to see a section about BioPHP
and not about other more-known toolkits like BioPython or BioRuby. What
about their role in web development? Python is also a common language
for web programming and with all the recent *hot* stuff like Ruby On
Rails, it's very likely that both Bio* toolkits are more than ready for
deploying web applications. I'm Cc'ing this to their respective mailing
lists to see if someone wants to give you some feedback about them in
order to complement your article. Other than that, I really liked your
work :)

Cheers,
Mauricio.