[Biojava-l] biojava error

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 29 08:40:10 UTC 2007

Hey,

Normally digitally signing a jar can cause problems for people who want
to uncompress our jar & re-compress into a distribution for themselves
(a one shot executable jar scenario). Applets are very strange as I'm
sure it's possible to load resources from the server and applet is
created from (I did it ages ago for an applet which worked with blast
output). So it's a bit of a shock that the applet sandbox doesn't allow
us to call a getResourceAsStream() method (well I say surprise ... it
doesn't really).

It's probably not a bad thing to offer a digitally signed version of the
JAR for people wanting to use it in applets but if the main distribution
could continue with unsigned JARs I think that would be the best.

Andy