[Biojava-l] SCF file wont load from URL

K.R. Carter k_stellar at msn.com
Fri Sep 1 17:14:49 UTC 2006

yes. here is the code snippet.

SCF scfFile = new SCF();

scfFile.load(new URL("
http://www.conifergdb.org/software/wtm0.6/process/guest@muohio.edu_060713_052442/chromat_dir/COLD1_16_H12.b1_A029").openStream(),
0);

I use this SCF class to open read files from the local machine and it works
perfectly fine. The hangup occurs when I try and open one from the URL.

i also put some system.out.println statements in the SCF class for debugging
purposes.

using v3 parser
begin parsing...
input stream not null
parsing samples...
reading samples into...
reading samples into...
reading samples into...
reading samples into...
parsing bases...

seems like once it reaches parsing bases, then the problem occurs. i placed
these println statments at the beginning of the methods. i put this:
System.out.println("file is parsed... ");
at the end of the parse() method:

public void parse() throws IOException,
                UnsupportedChromatogramFormatException {
            parsed = false;
            // sort the sections of the file by ascending offset
            Integer SAMPLES  = new Integer(0),
                    BASES    = new Integer(1),
                    COMMENTS = new Integer(2),
                    PRIVATE  = new Integer(3);
            TreeMap sectionOrder = new TreeMap();
            sectionOrder.put(new Long(header.samples_offset),  SAMPLES);
            sectionOrder.put(new Long(header.bases_offset),    BASES);
            sectionOrder.put(new Long(header.comments_offset), COMMENTS);
            sectionOrder.put(new Long(header.private_offset),  PRIVATE);

            for (Iterator it = sectionOrder.keySet().iterator() ;
            it.hasNext() ;) {
                Integer sect = (Integer) sectionOrder.get(it.next());
                if      (sect == SAMPLES)  parseSamples();
                else if (sect == BASES)    parseBases();
                else if (sect == COMMENTS) parseComments();
                else if (sect == PRIVATE)  parsePrivate();
            }
            parsed = true;
            System.out.println("file is parsed... "); <-- i added this
        }

That statement ("file is parsed") never gets printed. I believe the hangup
is at parseBases(). I'm unsure. I'm still trying to find out exactly where
it is.

Kiki