[Biojava-l] Using REstriction Mapper

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Tue Nov 28 05:55:43 UTC 2006

Hi -

Looks like you forgot to include the bytecode.jar on your classpath. Take
a look at these instructions : http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:GetStarted

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Research Investigator (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com
www.dengueinfo.org

phone +65 6722 2973
fax  +65 6722 2910

ashish mittal <mittalashr at yahoo.com>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at lists.open-bio.org
11/28/2006 12:54 PM

        To:     biojava-l at lists.open-bio.org
        cc:     (bcc: Mark Schreiber/GP/Novartis)
        Subject:        [Biojava-l] Using REstriction Mapper

Hi all,

I am trying to use restriction mapper to search for a list of resctriction
enzymes in a given sequence. Can some one send me some sample code that
does the same. I tried following and this code gives exception:
org/biojava/utils/bytecode/CodeException
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.FeatureFilter$OnlyChildren.<clinit>(FeatureFilter.java:1270)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.FeatureFilter.<clinit>(FeatureFilter.java:1813)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.SimpleFeatureHolder.<init>(SimpleFeatureHolder.java:52)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.impl.ViewSequence.<init>(ViewSequence.java:116)
        at
org.biojava.bio.seq.impl.ViewSequence.<init>(ViewSequence.java:143)
        at
org.biojava.bio.molbio.RestrictionMapper.annotate(RestrictionMapper.java:115)
        at seed.rs.rsTry.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:91)
        at seed.rs.rsTry.Searcher.main(Searcher.java:101)

CODE:

public class Searcher {

    ThreadPool tPool = new ThreadPool() {
        public void addRequest(Runnable runnable) {
        }
        public void startThreads() {
        }
        public void stopThreads() {
        }
        public void waitForThreads() {
        }
    };

    RestrictionMapper mapper = new RestrictionMapper(tPool);

    /** Creates a new instance of Searcher */
    public Searcher() {
    }

    public void search(){

        try {
            RestrictionEnzyme res1 = new
RestrictionEnzyme("enz1",DNATools.createDNA("agtg"),0,0);
            RestrictionEnzyme res2 = new
RestrictionEnzyme("enz2",DNATools.createDNA("gatt"),0,0);
            RestrictionEnzyme res3 = new
RestrictionEnzyme("enz3",DNATools.createDNA("gatg"),0,0);

            mapper.addEnzyme(res1);
            mapper.addEnzyme(res2);
            mapper.addEnzyme(res3);

        RestrictionEnzymeManager.register(res1,new TreeSet());
        RestrictionEnzymeManager.register(res2,new TreeSet());
        RestrictionEnzymeManager.register(res3,new TreeSet());

        } catch (IllegalSymbolException ex) {
            ex.printStackTrace();
        } catch (IllegalAlphabetException ex) {
            ex.printStackTrace();
        }

        //RestrictionEnzymeManager  resManager = new
RestrictionEnzymeManager();

        try {

            Sequence dnaSeq =
DNATools.createDNASequence("agtgattcgtatcgattcggatggtcattttt","my_dnaseq");
            Sequence newSeq = mapper.annotate(dnaSeq);

        } catch (IllegalSymbolException ex) {
            ex.printStackTrace();
        }
    }