[Biojava-l] Any ORF Finder available ?

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Tue Nov 21 03:12:03 UTC 2006

Hi -

A quick and dirty way is to make a six frame translation
(http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:Cookbook:Translation:SixFrames).

Probably a better way is to scan in six frames (using a
WindowedSymbolList) looking for a start codon and then look for the
appropriate stop codon. You will want to define the start and stop codons
as Symbols from the codon (DNAxDNAxDNA) alphabet. You can do this as
follows:

FiniteAlphabet codonAlpha = DNATools.getCodonAlphabet();

//make a ambiguity symbol for ATG, GTG and TTG codons

//first make the A or G or T ambiguity BasisSymbol
Set syms = new HashSet();
syms.add(DNATools.a()); syms.add(DNATools.t()); syms.add(DNATools.g());
Symbol amb = DNATools.getDNA().getAmbiguity(syms) ;

//now make the [A|G|T] TG codon
List l = new ArrayList();
l.add(amb); l.add(DNATools.t()); l.add(DNATools.g());
Symbol startCodon = codonAlpha.getSymbol(l);

//You would construct the stop codons in a similar manner although you
probably can't merge them all into one.

The above example shows how you can use a single symbol to represent all 3
common bacterial start codons. You could also make all 3 seperatly and
test them individually.

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Research Investigator (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com