[Biojava-l] BioJava-X parsing of RichSequences

Francois Pepin fpepin at cs.mcgill.ca
Wed May 3 16:50:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 09:38 +0100, Richard Holland wrote:
> Ah yes, I hadn't thought about that aspect. In which case, a Stream-
> capable format-guesser is not going to be possible. But there's nothing
> stopping Ola from reading/writing to Streams directly, as long as he
> knows what format they're in.

I would tend to disagree about the impossibility of using streams.

How much of the file is generally being read before the guess is made?
I'm thinking very little is needed, especially compared to how much
memory Java usually takes.

It would not be very difficult to save that first part of the stream and
then play it back once the guess is made.

I kind of like the idea of using streams, in cases where you are not
reading from a file. Having to write everything to a temporary file to
satisfy the API isn't a very appealing solution, I think.

I could code something up if people are interested.

Francois