[Biojava-l] Alignment with GAPs

Matthew Pocock matthew.pocock at ncl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 26 15:33:45 EST 2006

If I understand you correctly, one of the two sequences you are aligning
contains a gap before you align them? Or do you want to produce a pair-wise
alignment from two un-aligned sequences and introduce gaps?

If it is the former, you want a state that emits a gap in one sequence and a
symbol in the other, and also advances {1,1}. I think that is easy enough to
set up, but can't remember the exact code. If the worst comes to the worst,
you can construct the distribution over {gap,Protein} using the classes
in .dist and then set up a SimpleState, providing the advance and alphabet in
the constructor.

Matthew