[Biojava-l] Re:topic about RestrictionEnzyme

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Mon May 16 21:40:33 EDT 2005

If there is a consensus on how to fix this problem (if there is a problem)
let me know so I can check it in to CVS.

- Mark

"george waldon" <gwaldon at geneinfinity.org>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org
05/17/2005 04:44 AM
Please respond to george waldon

        To:     biojava-l at biojava.org
        cc:     (bcc: Mark Schreiber/GP/Novartis)
        Subject:        RE: [Biojava-l] Re:topic about RestrictionEnzyme

zhenqing ye wrote:
>For example HgaI GACGC (5/10) indicates cleavage as
>follows:
>                                5' GACGCNNNNN^      3'
>                                3' CTGCGNNNNNNNNNN^ 5'
>it should be 5'-overhang according to biological rule, but
>in the code implementation it's 3'-overhang. i think the
>defination of overhang in the code implementation
>is related with the strand direction.

It's a 5'overhang and if biojava says otherwise, it is most probably a
bug. It is just confusing because we use the word "end" to describe both
the enzyme cuts (end type using biojava javadoc terminology) and the
strand termini (termination of a strand either 3' end or 5' end).

- George