[Biojava-l] topic about RestrictionEnzyme

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Tue May 10 21:35:17 EDT 2005

Hi -

This does look like an error although I'm no expert on restriction
enzymes. Can anyone else comment?

If you do find the source of the error please let us know.

- Mark

zhenqing ye <yezhenqing at yahoo.com.cn>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org
05/10/2005 03:04 PM

        To:     biojava-l at biojava.org
        cc:     (bcc: Mark Schreiber/GP/Novartis)
        Subject:        [Biojava-l] topic about RestrictionEnzyme

Hi,
I have tried biojava-1.4pre1.zip for my works, but there are some bugs(i
am not very sure)
in RestrictionEnzyme related classes. I have written the following codes:
  RestrictionEnzyme enzyme =
               RestrictionEnzymeManager.getEnzyme("Bsp24I");
  System.out.println(enzyme.getName());
  System.out.println(enzyme.getCutType());
  try{
      System.out.println(enzyme.getUpstreamEndType());
      System.out.println(enzyme.getUpstreamCut()[0]);
      System.out.println(enzyme.getUpstreamCut()[1]);
      System.out.println(enzyme.getDownstreamEndType());
      System.out.println(enzyme.getDownstreamCut()[0]);
      System.out.println(enzyme.getDownstreamCut()[1]);
  }
  catch(BioException bioe){
      System.out.println("some error");
  }

  the output is like that:(# means commention)
     Bsp24I   (#Name)
     1        (#CutType)
     1        (#UpstreamEndType)
     8        (#UpstreamCut[0])
     13       (#UpstreamCut[1])
     2        (#DownstreamEndType)
     1        (#DownstreamCut[0])
     1        (#DownstreamCut[1])

furthermore, the explanation in REBASE version 504 likes the following...

      ENZYMES WITH UNUSUAL CLEAVAGE PROPERTIES:
            Enzymes that cut on both sides of their recognition sequences,
                such as BcgI, Bsp24I, CjeI and CjePI, have 4 cleavage
sites
                each instead of 2.
          Bsp24I
           5'      ^NNNNNNNNGACNNNNNNTGGNNNNNNNNNNNN^   3'
     3' ^NNNNNNNNNNNNNCTGNNNNNNACCNNNNNNN^        5'

          This will be described in some REBASE reports as:
                        Bsp24I (8/13)GACNNNNNNTGG(12/7)

so i think the expected values should be the following for the last three
parameters:
     0        (#DownstreamEndType)
     12       (#DownstreamCut[0])
     7        (#DownstreamCut[1])

is there any one meet this situation and give some commentions, or maybe i
should try me best to go deep into the source codes.

thanks

Zhenqing Ye