[Biojava-l] biojava and STRAP

Andreas Prlic ap3 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 04:52:58 EST 2005

Hi Christoph!

> Further it has a very fast PDB and DSSP parsers (30ms per PDB-file).

I contributed  a PDB parser and data model to biojava - CVS a while
ago. The parser mainly parses the coordinate section of the PDB files,
so it would be nice to get the header section parsed as well. - though
I think that parsing of either header or atoms should be optional.

Is your parser event-based? That would be an improvement to the current
one and it would allow fine tuned (and therefore fast) parsing of PDB
files according to people/algorithm needs. E.g. It would be interesting
to have event listeners that only parse Ca atoms - or only the
mainchain atoms, etc. depending on the application. The current
implementation will create an all atom representation of the PDB file.

The PDB data model is designed so it can deal with various exceptions
that occur within protein structures  and the idea was that it should
be possible to develop algorithms on top of it.

regarding DSSP: yes would be nice to have a parser for it.  :-)

> There is a wrapper for Rasmol and Pymol and a specialized multi-model
> 3D-wire viewer.

wrapper to rasmol ? Does this mean you pipe rasmol script commands to
it?
Personally,  I usually recommend the Jmol viewer - also "speaks" rasmol
:-)

Gruesze,
Andreas