[Biojava-l] BLAST functionality

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Tue Jun 28 21:49:19 EDT 2005

There have been a number of requests to the list (and directly to me) for
increased functionality for the BLAST parsers (eg capturing more of the
information in the report). Originally the design was lightweight and
captured what most people wanted but as always there are always people who
think different (as Steve Jobs might say) and want different things.

The best way for the BLAST parsers to improve is for people to contribute
code. There are lots of work arounds that people have made to improve the
parsers that have not found there way into biojava. Ideally I'm hoping
someone will volunteer to take a look at this and coordinate the effort.
The ideal person should be a reasonable Java programmer with  a good feel
for how the BLAST part of the API works. They would also be someone who
uses it a lot and is therefore motivated to improve it. The BLAST API is
probably the most used part of biojava so instant fame and adulation await
the generous volunteer : )

I know your out there somewhere...

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com