[Biojava-l] RestrictionEnzymeManager can't correctly handle incomplete enzymes

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Wed Jun 22 05:24:52 EDT 2005

I take your point but I notice that BamHI is an isoscizomer. Is the
cleavage site of BamHI really unknown??

- Mark

"Jesse" <jesse-t at chello.nl>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org
06/22/2005 04:15 PM

        To:     <biojava-l at biojava.org>
        cc:     (bcc: Mark Schreiber/GP/Novartis)
        Subject:        [Biojava-l] RestrictionEnzymeManager can't correctly handle     incomplete
enzymes

RestrictionEnzymeManager can't correctly handle incomplete enzymes and
gives
wrong data.

(Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm not sure if this is already discussed or not.

I think RestrictionEnzymeManager can not handle incomplete restriction
enzymes.

BioJava 1.4Pre2 knows two types of RestrictionEnzymes:
-RestrictionEnzyme.CUT_SIMPLE
-RestrictionEnzyme.CUT_COMPOUND

But in REBASE, there are also other restriction enzyme entries:
-Unknown recognition sites. For example "<3>?". RestrictionEnzymeManager
skips this one (which is ok).
-Unknown cut location. For example AacI "<3>GGATCC".

The problem with RestrictionEnzymeManager is with those REBASE entries
which
have an unknown cutlocation. RestrictionEnzymeManager  will actually tell
that there is a cutlocation, even though it's unknown in the REBASE file.

For example:
http://rebase.neb.com/rebase/link_withrefm
--------- REBASE ENTRY -----------
<1>AacI
<2>BamHI,AaeI,AcaII,AccEBI,AinII,AliI,Ali12257I,Ali12258I,ApaCI,AsiI,AspTII,
Atu1II,BamFI,BamKI,BamNI,Bca1259I,Bce751I,Bco10278I,BnaI,BsaDI,Bsp30I,Bsp46I
,Bsp90II,Bsp98I,Bsp130I,Bsp131I,Bsp144I,Bsp4009I,BspAAIII,BstI,Bst1126I,Bst2
464I,Bst2902I,BstQI,Bsu90I,Bsu8565I,Bsu8646I,BsuB519I,BsuB763I,CelI,DdsI,Gdo
I,GinI,GoxI,GseIII,GstI,MleI,Mlu23I,NasBI,Nsp29132II,NspSAIV,OkrAI,Pac1110I,
Pae177I,Pfl8I,Psp56I,RhsI,Rlu4I,RspLKII,SolI,SpvI,SurI,Uba19I,Uba31I,Uba38I,
Uba51I,Uba88I,Uba1098I,Uba1163I,Uba1167I,Uba1172I,Uba1173I,Uba1205I,Uba1224I
,Uba1242I,Uba1250I,Uba1258I,Uba1297I,Uba1302I,Uba1324I,Uba1325I,Uba1334I,Uba
1339I,Uba1346I,Uba1383I,Uba1398I,Uba1402I,Uba1414I,Uba4009I
<3>GGATCC
<4>
<5>Acetobacter aceti sub. liquefaciens
<6>IFO 12388
<7>
<8>Seurinck, J., van Montagu, M., Unpublished observations.