[Biojava-l] Dealing with huge sequences (was: "memory leak while reading nr.fasta")

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Mon Jul 4 02:49:35 EDT 2005

I think this would be easily do-able with biojava. It would require a
custom implementation of Sequence and, due to the beauty of interfaces you
probably wouldn't even know you were dealing with an assembly, (except
sometimes it might be a bit slow while collecting data).

Like you say you could use IndexStore. I might also be worth looking at
how Dazzle deals with DAS to see if you can steal anything from there.

Ideally the SequenceBuilders called (eventually) by SeqIOTools should
decide what kind of Sequence implementation you get back. For example,
small sequences get SimpleSequence, mid sized get PackedSymbolList, and
really large ones get some kind of lazy loaded sequence.

Before diving in it would be interesting to know if it is the big sequence
or the thousands of features that cause large sequences to be problematic.
If it's features you would need to lazy load those as well (which could be
problematic).

- Mark

Aaron Darling <darling at cs.wisc.edu>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org