[Biojava-l] reading nib sequence files

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jan 24 03:34:04 EST 2005

On 24 Jan 2005, at 02:48, Richard HOLLAND wrote:

> It's a compressed binary format. I doubt BioJava would be able to read
> it without a lot of effort as the current parser framework is set up
> for
> text input only.

Nib support probably wouldn't fit into the text-oriented parsing
framework, but I'm sure it could be supported somehow if there was
demand.  A quick google doesn't turn up any format documentation, but
Jim Kent's IO code is at:

           http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~kent/src/unzipped/lib/nib.c

One interesting way to handle this might be to open the nib file as a
MappedByteBuffer, and back a SymbolList directly using that --
potentially giving us an efficient way of working with huge sequences..
  Any interest in that?