[Biojava-l] Reverse transcription

Jacob Rohde rohdester at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 04:26:37 EDT 2005

Hi,

On 8/15/05, mark.schreiber at novartis.com <mark.schreiber at novartis.com> wrote:
> Take a look at http://www.biojava.org/docs/bj_in_anger/ReverseComplement.htm

Thanks for you replies Mark.

Yes, I've read about the reverseComplement. It may be I'm dense here,
but I can't see how it can help me go from RNA to DNA. The way I
understand reverseComplement is that it gives the complementary strand
of the argument in the reverse order (5'-3'), but in the same
alphabet.

I need to go from RNA to DNA. Again, I might be overlooking something?!?!

On 8/15/05, mark.schreiber at novartis.com <mark.schreiber at novartis.com> wrote:
>See also DNATools.transcribeToRNA(), especially read the >javadocs and
>contrast that with DNATools.toRNA().

Yes, I can see the difference. transcribeToRNA() assumes the argument
is the template strand in the 5'-3' direction whereas   toRNA() takes
the coding strand as argument (it simply translates the alphabet
without any consideration of an actual transcription event).

/Jacob