[Biojava-l] opening unknown fasta file

mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com
Sun Nov 21 21:39:58 EST 2004

One way to do this would be to create a Unicode alphabet (or ASCII
alphabet) and read the file into a Sequence of that Alphabet, create a
Distribution, compare it to the DNA/ RNA/ Protein distributions using
DistributionTools and then convert it to the correct Alphabet.

Even more ambitious would be to read the whole file to a text buffer and
guess the format and alphabet based on the usage of characters.

Anyone feel inspired to do something like this. We are always getting
emails from students looking for short projects. How about that one? My
basic minimal requirement would be that the file should not be read twice.
I/O is expensive, Memory is cheap.

- Mark

Thomas Down <thomas at derkholm.net>
Sent by: biojava-l-bounces at portal.open-bio.org