[Biojava-l] Re: [Biojava-dev] Feature at position 0

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri May 14 06:36:24 EDT 2004

On 14 May 2004, at 11:21, Matthew Pocock wrote:

> I think for the sake of useability, we could either relax the location
> constraint to allow point locations at 0, or in the sp parser,
> re-write these as <1 - what do people think?

Ugh.

I'm not sure "<1" will appeal to people who are into round-tripping.

I think my (slightly) favoured option would be to remove the location
constraints on Features completely.  I know this is pretty horrible,
but off-sequence locations do seem to be things people use.

I'd definitely vote against special-casing locations at position 0 --
that just feels like a slippery slope.  What happens when people want
to model larger leader-peptides in this way?  If we're going to allow
off-sequence locations at all we should bite the bullet and allow them
without restriction.

*sigh*

       Thomas