[Biojava-l] Alignment/ Alphabet issues (was biojava v2 alpha1 release)

mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com mark.schreiber at group.novartis.com
Wed May 5 21:44:19 EDT 2004

Hi John -

if you get source from BioJava live or a recent snapshot it should be able
to handle gap counting in Alignments via DistributionTools various
distributions form alignment methods. It is done through a very dodgey
hack that hopefully is not needed in BJ2 (or is at least formalized so
anyone can do it). Gaps are not too well handled in BJ1. They sort of are
and are not part of the alphabet.

I am also working on a generalized wrapper to allow soft masking of an
alphabet as well as a SymbolTokenization that understands how to deal with
it. Should be done soon if there is interest but it would be better
handled at a more core level if possible in BJ2.

On the subject of LGPL v GPL, having worked in companies for a while
making biojava GPL would render it unusable for industry. Even if I write
something that will never be shrinkwrapped and sold no legal team will
ever allow me to use biojava if it means anything I write has to be GPL.
We may choose to make it GPL but we don't want to be forced to.

Regards,

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com